Sunday, November 23, 2008

visiting

Went to stay with sister P so brother in law could go to nephew's basketball game. Enjoyed spending time with her and she was very gracious when I could not understand what she was trying to tell me. I did catch 80% of it, although only half of that on her first attempt. ALS has left her a shell of herself and now even her speech is very limited. It isn't fair. I'm old enough to realze life isn't fair but noone deserves to go through this. Least of all a young mother with a daugher in college and a 16 year old son.

I had returned to Atl afer graduating college. After one year P had decided college wasn't for her and asked if she could move in until her boyfriend graduated and they could begin their life. Somewhere along the way they split up and as soon as I met S I knew she would be interested in him. After they met they were inseparable and I was a bit concerned when they announced their engagement within a year. 21 years later they have two great kids and a bond as strong as our parents. S has been great for her, and she for him.

She smiled politely as I tried to follow what she ws trying to tell me. Mostly about relatives who had visited, her favorite TV show. I mananged to get her breathing machine on and off of her when she wanted. Her hair is going grey and is cut short now. She can move a few fingers on her left hand. Her birthday is Sat. She will be 45.

No comments: